SUCCESSFUL NON-SURGICAL PERIODONTAL TREATMENTS
XO ODONTOSON 360 has been indicated to be particularly effective for subgingival flushing with 0.1% PVP-iodine solution.
Read the guide created by Dr. B. Rosling for the treatment of advanced periodontitis using XO ODONTOSON 360:
1. The procedure can be started after examination of the dentition, gathering information from the patient and careful instruction in oral hygiene.
2. Treatment planning: Most levels of periodontal disease are possible to treat using the XO ODONTOSON 360. However, the outcome of the treatment will depend on the initial level of disease and the way XO ODONTOSON 360 is used. Treatment of a single quadrant at each appointment is the general procedure. However, in very severe cases and/or with patients who feel uncomfortable being in the dental chair for a long time, you may divide the dentition into sextants.
3. Always use anaesthesia to be able to perform a good treatment!
4. The time input for each tooth with pockets of 6 mm depth or more is between 6 to 10 minutes – the deeper the longer. 6 minutes for a 6 mm pocket, then add about 1 minute for each 2 mm. Start by adjusting the power and irrigation to maximum and work in a vertical direction with small horizontal movements of about 2-3 mm. When reaching the bottom of the soft tissue pocket be a little aggressive by pushing the tip towards the bottom. Use very light pressure against the root/tooth surface. It isn’t the pressure of the tip but the ultra-sonic energy that removes the bio film of microorganisms and calculus. Remember to apply light pressure and never work without moving the tip. Use a water solution of PVP-iodine 0.1%. Bleeding is a common response to mechanical debridement and is associated with the inflammation of the tissue rather than wounding because of the scaling procedure.
5. When you have finished the treatment, always give a prescription to your patient of 0.2% chlorhexidine for mouth rinsing twice a day for 2 minutes over 10-14 days. The patient will have difficulties performing adequate tooth brushing the first week. Reinstruct the patient in oral hygiene measures and make an appointment for the next treatment 4 days later.
6. If your patient experiences pain because of hypersensitive root surfaces give him/her fluoride dentifrice and fluoride solution for mouth rinsing.
7. After treatment of all teeth call the patient for re-evaluation after 3 months and repeat scaling in the same way for all 5 mm pockets with bleeding on probing. Recall the patient every three months in the first year and repeat check-ups. After this first year, recall the patient once every 3-6-12 months, depending on the healing and level of oral hygiene.
Scientific documentation for XO ODONTOSON 360 and PVP IODINE
Greenstein G: Povidone-Iodine’s effects and role in the management of periodontal diseases: A review. J Periodontol 1999;70:1397-1405
Rosling B, Hellström M-K, Ramberg P, Socransky PP, Lindhe J: The use of PVP-Iodine as an adjunct to non-surgical treatment of chronic periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol 2001;28:
Serino G: Outcome of treatment in subjects with different severity of periodontal disease. Thesis. Department of periodontology, Faculty of Odontology, Göteborg University, Göteborg 2001
Slots J, Jorgensen MG: Efficient antimicrobial treatment in periodontal maintenance care. 2000;131:1293-1304